These are the most current fraud alerts. Please know that L&N will never call, text or email you and request your account number or card number. If you receive a similar call, text or email, delete it immediately and call the credit union at (502) 368-5858 or (800) 292-2905 to report it!
To view videos about phishing and other internet fraud scams, Click Here.
IRS Phone Scam
Tax season is over, but that won't stop scammers from trying to get your Social Security numbers, account information or passwords.
Criminals are able to fake or “spoof” caller ID numbers to appear to be anywhere in the country, including from an IRS office. This prevents taxpayers from being able to verify the true call number. Fraudsters also have spoofed local sheriff’s offices, state Department of Motor Vehicles, federal agencies and others to convince taxpayers the call is legitimate.
If you receive a phone call claiming to be from the IRS, please keep the following in mind.
The IRS (and its authorized private collection agencies) will never:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. The IRS does not use these methods for tax payments. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes. All tax payments should only be made payable to the U.S. Treasury and checks should never be made payable to third parties.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand that taxes be paid without giving the taxpayer the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
Equifax experienced a breach recently, that has been highlighted in the news. The cybersecurity incident potentially impacted 143 million U.S. Consumers. Please know that this incident was solely related to the credit reporting agency; Equifax. It was not a breach of your personal accounts at the credit union.
The Federal Trade Commission has put together some useful information that can be found at: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-data-breach-what-do
In addition, Equifax has put out an update at: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ From this site you can:
- See if you are potentially impacted by clicking on the "Potential Impact Tab" at the bottom of the homepage.
- Enroll in complimentary identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services and find out if your personal information may have been impacted, by clicking on the "Enroll Tab."
- Learn more about the complimentary offering, by clicking on "TrustedID Premier Tab." TrustedID Premier provides you with copies of your Equifax credit report; the ability to lock your Equifax credit report; 3-Bureau credit monitoring of your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit reports; Internet scanning for your Social Security number; and identity theft insurance.
The safety and security of your account(s) at L&N is always a top priority. If you feel extra security is needed on your account(s) we can add a password that would be required for accessing information by phone or in branch. This would be in addition to any security questions that may already be attached to your account(s). Please know that L&N will never call, text or email you to request your account number, mobile/internet banking log-in or card numbers. If you receive a similar call, text or email, delete it immediately and call the credit union at (502) 368-5858 or (800) 292- 2905 to report it!
New Phone Scam
We have had multiple members call and say they received a pre-recorded message from 402-609-5706 in Omaha, NE stating they are L&N and they need them to call back. This is not L&N! This is a fraud attempt.
Also remember - L&N will never call, text or email you to request your account number or card number!
Some of our members have received calls with a message that there is a problem with the person’s L&N debit card.
It prompts the person to type in their debit card number and other personal information. THIS IS FRAUD! Please hang up immediately if you receive an automated call, or a call from a live person, if they ask you for ANY account information.
L&N will never call and ask you for account numbers, debit card numbers or any other related information. If for some reason we called you, we would already have that information!
Unfortunately, this type of scam is fairly common. However, due to the Holiday Season these type of things may be more frequent.